EnableTech DeCal: Assistive Technology Design
Spring 2023: TBD
check back here next Spring for the application
The Enabletech DeCal teaches technical skills important to the design of assistive technology. Students will be walked through the design process and taught technical skills (such as 3D modeling, 3D printing, laser cutting, Arduino, and electronics) through the perspective of assistive technology design. The class will culminate in a final project, designed to implement skills gained throughout the course.
*IMPORTANT*: we may be unable to offer this Decal in the Spring semester this year. Thus, if you are planning to take this Decal please have back up options available; especially if you’re trying to reach the limit minimums.
- Build and design circuits controlled by the Arduino microcontroller
- Discuss uses of Arduino in Assistive Technology
- Learn threshold coding and extended applications of Arduino
- Implement learnings directly in the final project
3D printing and modeling
- Learn human-centered design
- Use Fusion 360/ CAD software to design assistive devices
- Model and 3D print your own parts for the final project
- Learn how to design for laser-cut prototyping
- Understand and implement tolerancing concepts
- Design and laser cut your own model for the final project